Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Peter, do you love me?

I learned the coolest thing yesterday. It's the story about when Jesus predicts that Peter will deny Him three times before the rooster crows. We all know that Peter did deny Jesus. (no, that's not what I learned! :) I am going somewhere with this!!) And the guilt he felt after he realized what he had done. But the sweetness and loving kindness of Jesus was evident when He asked Peter if he loved Him. Not once!!! Three times!!!!! I love that. For each time Peter denied Him, Jesus made a way for Peter to say I love you Lord. A devotion I got in the mail from Desiring God Ministries says, "It wasn't until later that Peter realized what had happened in that painful conversation on the beach. (Jesus asking Peter if he loved Him.) It wasn't that Jesus doubted Peter's love. Instead, he had allowed Peter to affirm his love for Jesus for each denial he had made on that terrible night."

That makes me fall in love with Jesus even more. He is so tender-hearted even when we fail. He didn't get angry with Peter. Hurt maybe, but not angry. He knew Peter was going to deny Him and He allowed it. But what amazing love He showed when He let Peter say he loved Jesus for each time he denied Jesus. I can just see the love and tenderness in His eyes as He looks at Peter and asks him the question, "Peter, do you love me?"

No comments: