Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Can't Sleep

It's 2:45 in the morning and I can't seem to get back to sleep so I put on a pot of coffee and decided to write a post. Elizabeth woke me up around 1:30 crying so I put her in bed with me. Watching Cosby Show and Fresh Prince of Bel Air didn't help much either. Which by the way, I just love Will Smith. He is SO SO funny. The little tiny feathers from my down comforter under my sheets were making me itch and my hair moving across my face caused by the fan kept tickling my cheek and nose. And then of course my mind starts wandering from one thing to another. A house and car that need to be sold, Church, things I've learned during my quiet time, etc. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. My problem isn't usually getting to sleep, I seem to not be able to stay asleep. This is when it really pays off to be a stay at home mom. I know that tomorrow around 12, my tail will be in bed. Anyways, I did read something I thought was very cool in my bible the other day.

In Exodus 28, God is giving Moses instructions for the clothing of the priest. Verse 12 says, two stones are to be fastened to the shoulder pieces of the ephod "as a reminder that Aaron represents the people of Israel. Aaron will carry these names on his shoulders as a constant reminder whenever he goes before the Lord." Then God tells him to make the chest piece and put four rows of gemstones with 3 in each row each one representing a son of Israel (Jacob). In verse 29 God said, " In this way, Aaron will carry the names of the tribes of Israel on the sacred chest piece over his heart when he goes into the Holy Place. This will be a continual reminder that he represents the people when he comes before the Lord." The next verse I found comforting is in verse 36. "Next make a medallion of pure gold and engrave it like a seal with these words: Holy to the LORD. Attach it with a blue cord to the front of Aaron's turban, where it must remain. Aaron must wear it on his forehead so he may take on himself any guilt of the people of Israel when they consecrate their sacred offerings. He must always wear it on the forehead so the Lord will accept the people."

The Holy Spirit immediately made me think of Jesus who is our High Priest (Hebrews 8). Isn't it comforting to know that the Son of God is your High Priest and is in heaven pleading your case before the Father (Hebrew 9:24, 1 John 2:1) . Just like the earthly priest, He represents you before God. And not only that, He carries the weight of your problems on His shoulders, He carries your name in his heart, and you are always on His mind (look back at the verses above). WOW!! God is always thinking about us. Do you all realize the kind of God we serve. So Holy no one can look at Him and live, yet so personal that we hear Him whisper our name and bask in His presence. He sees and He always remembers you. Not a moment goes by that He isn't reminded of you and me. When we are too weak to pray, He does. When we want to give up, He fights for us. When the storms of life are raging, He's in the midst of it ready to calm it at the right time. When your walking through the fire, He's in it with you. Ahhhhh!!! It is so amazing to me that God loves us so much, He took His own breath and breathed life into our mortal bodies. And the whole time, knowing the day was coming that He would die for that very creature He made for His glory!!! And for that, He deserves all our praise and glory!! Remember, the christian life isn't about God making much of us, (although He does) it's about us making much of God. That's what we were created for. My prayer is that every day, you will desire Him more and more.

No comments: